The 11th Young Researchers Seminar was held from 15 to 17 May 2023 in Lisbon, Portugal, hosted and organised by the Laboratório Nacional de Engenharia Civil – LNEC (National Laboratory for Civil Engineering).
The YRS 2023 in numbers:
- 34 great papers & presentations
- 12 dedicated tutors
- 9 committed Steering Committee members
- 3 inspiring invited speakers
- 54 participants, coming from 13 countries and 20 organisations, contributed to the YRS 2023 success
The Supporting Organisations thank the young researchers, tutors, Steering Committee members and Members networks that contributed to the success of the Seminar. A special thanks goes to the Organising Committee, Sandra Vieira, Carlos Roque and André Paixão, for the excellent organization and execution of the seminar.
Congratulations to the winners of best paper and presentation:
- 1st place: Daniel Sander (BASt, Germany) Detecting latent relations within in-depth accident data using network graphs
- 2nd place ex aequo: Kajsa Emanuelsson Weibull (VTI, Sweden) Differences in drivers’ attitudes and behavior towards ambulances and police vehicles
- 2nd place ex aequo: Gabriel Stephan Himmelbauer (University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria) Conceptual Design and Evaluation of Sensor Technology for Automatic Uncoupling of Railroad Wagons
This edition offers the opportunity to a network of young transport researchers from Members of
ECTRI, FEHRL, FERSI, EURNEX, HUMANIST as well as from research organisations across the US  to gather and interact during the three-day seminar, where young researchers are able to improve their presentation skills in written and oral scientific communication by tutorial means. The tutoring is done by senior researchers who themselves are acting in a truly international scientific culture.
 Since 2007, thanks to the Memorandum of Understanding between ECTRI and TRB, the participation to the Seminar is open to young researchers and tutors from the US Universities. In this frame TRB is a co-sponsor of the 2023 Seminar.
TRANSPORT RESEARCH DOMAINS
The seminar focuses on following research domains:
- Transport economics, policy, and transport behaviour
- Transport sustainability and environment
- Transport safety
- Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) & Traffic management
- Transport logistics and freight
- Transport engineering (including road and railway infrastructures)
YRS 2023 is meant for young researchers working at organisations belonging to ECTRI, FEHRL, FERSI, EURNEX, HUMANIST and US Universities (via TRB). The young researchers are incited to participate by their own organisations (Institutes or Universities). They are preferably PhD students; Postdoctoral may also be accepted, within their 1-2 years after PhD. They are involved in one of the aforementioned research domains.
YRS 2023 KEY DATES
- February 2022: Announcement of the host, dates and venue
- June 22, 2022: Launch of call for abstracts and call for tutors
- September 30, 2022: Deadline for submission of abstracts and nomination of tutors > Deadline extended until October 17, 2022
- November 30, 2022: Notification on abstracts review results and tutors’ appointment
- February 1, 2023: Deadline for full draft paper submission, registration and fee payment > Deadline extended until February 15, 2022
- February – May 2023: Exchange between tutors and young researchers
- May 3, 2023: Deadline for submission of final paper
- May 10, 2023: Deadline for submission of presentation
- May 15-17, 2023: Holding of the Young Researchers Seminar